All businesses selling food are required to notify their local council. Under the Food Act a food business means a business, enterprise or activity (other than a primary food production business) that involves:

(a) the handling of food intended for sale; or
(b) the sale of food

Regardless of whether the business, enterprise or activity concerned is of a commercial, charitable or community nature or whether it involves the handling or sale of food on one occasion only.

Food business even includes businesses like chemists, cinemas, corner stores, petrol stations and swimming pools, if they sell packaged or any other type of food.

Food businesses, from major food manufacturers to the local church group that holds a once per year food fair, have defined responsibilities under the legislation to ensure the safety of food.

Food business notification can be done by downloading a notification form and lodging it with Council, or contacting Environmental Health Officer on (08) 8527 0200 at the Council office for a notification form.

There is no fee for notification.

Mobile food businesses must notify the council in which the vehicle is normally garaged.

You need only complete the notification process ONCE unless your details change.

If you intend to hold a temporary event (such as a stall or sausage sizzle) you must also notify Council at least 2 weeks in advance and complete a Temporary Event Food Notification Form

Contact Us

2a Wasleys Road

PO Box 18

Mallala SA 5502