Drought Communities Programme
The extension of the Drought Communities Programme (the program) will provide funding to Eligible Councils to deliver immediate economic stimulus and other benefits to targeted drought-affected regions of Australia. The program will support local community infrastructure and other drought relief projects for communities who have been impacted by drought.
The objectives of the program are to deliver support to targeted drought-affected regions of Australia by funding:
- local community infrastructure and
- Other drought relief projects.
Funding will target infrastructure and other projects that:
- provide employment for people whose work opportunities have been impacted by drought
- stimulate local community spending
- use local resources, businesses and suppliers
- Provide a long-lasting benefit to communities and the agricultural industries on which they depend.
The intended outcomes of the program are to, within a three year timeframe:
- increase employment in regions by providing work for locals and/or farmers and farm labourers/staff/contractors whose employment opportunities have been affected by drought
- improve levels of economic activity in regions
- increase productivity in regions
- Enable better retention of businesses, services and facilities.