Under the Australian Road Rules, a horse is considered a vehicle and therefore is permitted to be ridden on the road. If you see a horse and rider on or near a road you should:
- treat the horse as a potential hazard
- slow down and, when safe, pass with care
- stop your vehicle on the left side of the road and turn off the engine if the horse is unsettled or the rider signals this to you
- not accelerate or rev your engine near a horse
- not sound your horn or make unnecessary noise
- not throw objects or shout at a horse or rider.